my lucky lawn


It is said that for every 10,000 three leafed clovers is there is one 4 leaf. If this is the case then my lawn is a lucky one. I've been finding tons. It is debated whether the fourth leaflet is caused genetically or environmentally, but something about my lawn's environment must be causing this lucky influx.

Each summer of my childhood I would lay in the grass of my lawn in western new york for hours and intricately comb the three leaf clovers looking for a lucky four leaf. I would then laminate them and give them to my friends and family (how "lucky" ;) ). After my father passed away I found one of my lucky clovers tucked in his wallet. I was 17 when he passed so it meant a lot to me that he had kept it all those years.

I still have this strange 4 leaf clover obsession. When walking through grass I find my eyes in the habit of quickly scanning the patches of clovers. I don't even realize I'm doing it. I still have the coveted talent of finding them while walking.

While you hang around and barbeque this 4th of july weekend, look for some lucky clovers. And happy 4th of July!

4 comments:

  1. I found one that you 'preserved' for me when we were kids...pressed between clear packing tap :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. i remember you 'laminating' them in tape! thats pretty cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your story. How perfect. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

leave some love

Related Posts with Thumbnails